Spartans Will. & Generation Will
The Spartans Will. tagline and Generation Will messaging theme convey the value of the MSU brand to different audiences.
Spartans Will. is the official tagline of MSU. Generation Will is a theme used primarily when speaking to prospective and incoming students and their parents.
Use of SPARTANS WILL.
Michigan State University's tagline is a distinctive unifying theme that speaks to who we are and what drives us. It's a call to action that differentiates MSU from other universities.
The “will” carries a powerful double meaning. As a verb, it reflects action and the work that Spartans do every day to make a positive impact. As a noun, it describes the determination, resilience and optimism that exemplifies Spartans. This “will” is a unique differentiator for Spartans.
- should be used in advertising and marketing communications.
- usually stands on its own: avoid using as a headline or sentence such as “Spartans will discover.” It limits the double meaning and makes it only focus on its use as a verb.
- in limited cases, may appear in text, for example, as the closing statement in a letter.
- is a strong statement or response to a challenging question.
- Always place a period after the word “Will.”
- may appear in all caps or with initial caps.
- should not be combined with other marks or phrases to create a new mark, graphic or theme line.
- may be MSU green, white or black.
Use of Generation Will
Generation Will is a messaging theme used exclusively with prospective and incoming student audiences as well as their families.
Research shows prospective students connect strongly with MSU's overall brand and the Spartans Will. tagline but the phrase Generation Will also resonates as something special and distinctly MSU.
As a result, Generation Will messaging should be used in moderation and as a way to inspire prospective students to see themselves in the MSU community and as the next generation of Spartans.
This extends the university to them in a personal way as a welcoming place where they belong and can claim their place because it’s their time to make a difference. It can also be used for recruitment purposes. For example, “Be part of Generation Will.”
Want to Learn More?